[ Forum ]

Miner.exe WHY?

All for Supercopier

Miner.exe WHY?

Postby horsemanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm

UPDATE: No miner installer into the current version

Can you please explain why your installer for Ultracopier installed a program called 'miner.exe'? This is clearly a Bitcoin miner. The name gives it away and the fact that it beat the hell out of my Nvidia graphics card. I had regular crashes of the graphics driver while it was running. The executable resides in your folder and disappears after un-installing Ultracopier.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful that you would include it in your installer. It's not a virus in the truest sense but it's clearly morally incorrect to put software on someone's computer that uses their hardware to make money. Whether it's actually illegal or not, I'm not sure, but I will be recommending in all technical forums that I can find that they steer well clear of this software.
horsemanuk

Re: Miner.exe WHY?

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Hello,

Already replyed on the forum, see the FAQ too. Is packaged into the Ultimate free version only to have the free way to have the Ultimate version.
Is clearly mentionned on the site. You have too a normal version on the site with AD, and Ultimate without it on the shop.

Cheer,
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Postby horsemanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Sorry, this is a very poor way to make money out of a piece of software. There are much better ways to keep software free. Imagine if other pieces of software took the same approach. The machine of the users would come to a complete standstill, never mind the fact the miner software caused my graphics driver to crash regularly. Not only was the graphics card maxed out but one core of my quad-core was at 100%. The machine was hotter internally as a consequence and all the fans were working harder (and noiser) because of it.

You also fail to adequately explain exactly what the software does. The Bitcoin currency allows 'new' bitcoins to be mined and then traded like existing currency. They are mined using highly complex cryptographic calculations which graphics cards are very good at due to the floating point nature of the calculations. You are making money DIRECTLY from this software running on people's machines, using their electricity and wearing out their computer parts. How many older PCs will overheat due to this software? How many people will be stopped from playing their favourite game because of this software? How many graphics cards will 'wear out' because they're working hard and hot all the time because of this software? The current exchange rate for a single bitcoin is over $100.

I hope that people read this post and take the same attitude that I have - un-install your software. You are abusing users' machines to your own gain, which is frankly disgraceful.
horsemanuk

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 pm

On Radeon graphic card or where correct driver is good. The donate don't work at all, the sell of Ultimate version is not top...

If I rember well, the algo sha256 don't use at any time the floating number. Take advantage of high parallelism of graphic card. It's clearly displayed on the download page (use the gpu).

This is well accepted by the community, more than I hope. The un-happy user switch to the normal version without miner on the download page.
It's not easy to try win my life with my software because is open source very low cost (but I not sell it)...
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Postby ped078 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm

You don't make it clear enough EXACTLY what impact the bitcoin miner is going to have one someones system. Anything less than a gaming super computer is rendered unusable.

I have a Core i5 / 16gb ddr3 / 256Gb SSD , and my system was useless. Kept crashing games and low FPS , and it was only google that lead me to this thread, and I uninstalled this piece of junk.

The poster above is 100% correct, this software could drive your system so hard that it could actually blow. I know its mentioned "here and there" on your sight, but its buried very sneakily and makes NO reference as to the impact it has on your system or what it does.

Luckily I have a friend in Symantec's rogue software dept who was very interested in my report and its under submission as of 4/9/2013 for inclusion in their list of malware apps.

Once its on thier list, it'll be on AVG's , McAfee's & Microsoft's .

Good day.
ped078

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 pm

I put on the download page: use the gpu. Gaming computer or not, the miner.exe should not block the user.
If block, you can give me the computer hardware to report it, or use the version without the miner.

Want graphic card do you have? Game crash is due to graphics drivers bug. Like previously say, you can use the version without it.

Have you an suggestion about the way to inform the user about this, and propose version without miner if needed.

miner.exe (bfgminer.exe or cgminer.exe), are considered as malware for some anti-virus. Here, I inform the user about usage of it. And it's just use the GPU at 100% (how many game do the same).
Can you confirm me it's miner.exe the application blacklisted?

I waiting your suggestion except remove it (already discuted in french forum, without it, I can't live this projet as professionnal project). How display it more clearly? ...

Note: I'm planning remove it for 2014.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Postby ped078 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Below are screenshots of my system and the errors in event viewer.

I'm aware that your time has to be paid for, thats absolutely fine, but there are other ways to make money from programs, VERY FEW use miner programs for bitcoins simply because of this problem. I'm a high level user with advanced technical knowledge and this caught me out, it was that unexpected.
I was using the latest nVidia driver from their site and my system if fully upto date. Also I know you mention it on your download page, what you DONT mention is the adverse effect it can have on users systems. Also, the program is hosted on various download sites which DONT warn of the dangers, the warning should be in the form of a splash screen when installing so it doesnt matter where the program was downloaded from.
It made my system loud, noisey and unusably slow , and ANY game was unplayable, that is totally unacceptable.

ped078

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm

ped078 wrote:what you DONT mention is the adverse effect it can have on users systems. Also, the program is hosted on various download sites which DONT warn of the dangers, the warning should be in the form of a splash screen when installing so it doesnt matter where the program was downloaded from.

Can you write correct sentence to put, and where do you suggest to put it?
I suggest into the splash screen, because is the unique place visible when you download with other platform.
With message like this:
This version use 100% of you graphic card/GPU (you computer can be noisy, or slow/buggy during the games) at exchange of free access to ultimate version. If you don't wish it, download the normal version with a small advertisement (just a link on the main window) or buy the Ultimate version to fund to project.
http://..../ (download url)

ped078 wrote:unusably slow , and ANY game was unplayable, that is totally unacceptable.

This part is NOT normal. You are advanced user, then I will speak with advanced langue:
When you use resources for computing (GPU or CPU), the scheduler need alternate the task to divide the time to the process without visible slow down. Work perfectly on some open source drivers.
Another problem du to OpenCL misconception: no priority management, you can't limit the usage (I have paid to to it with bfgminer, to limit and use few resource on hight end graphic card, but the dev have never do it).
If the drivers hang like you see on the second screenshot, it's a problem. I can't imagine on an OS, an application can hang/freeze the OS/drivers. Example: with CPU at 100% (bug or not), all the OS is not freezed.

EDIT: in few time I will release the new version, it can be an great improvement for this version.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Return to Supercopier