[ Forum ]

Explanation of Copy Engine>Control features

For the other topic

Explanation of Copy Engine>Control features

Postby esumsea » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello All!
I tried to find some sort of manual for Ultracopier, which I purchased. I do know of the Wiki links here, but I find them severely lacking. There needs to be some sort of manual going through each specific option, especially for users that are not that well educated on the subject. I would swear there was a site that went into each option, but I cannot find it.

Anyhow, can you please explain what each function means/does in the Checksum box? I know what verify checksums do, but what does "Only after error" and "Ignore if impossible" mean?

Does "only after error" mean that it only performs a checksum after the copy machine detects an error?

Does "Ignore if impossible" mean that it will not verify a checksum when it is impossible to do so? What would make verifying a checksum impossible? Perhaps a file name that was too long?

Lastly, I got an email from the support team saying that using checksum was useless for data integrity and only served to slow down the program. I do not understand this response because is not that the exact reason to perform a checksum, to insure the data copied exactly as it should? Frankly, checksum verification was on of the reasons I purchased this program.

Please help clarify my confusion. I will next address the Performance options in another post later, but I read that the inode threads will be functional soon, I just don't know if they are now functional in 1.2.3.0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D
esumsea
esumsea

Re: Explanation of Copy Engine>Control features

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:09 pm

I will be out of time, but I will try explicite the most obscure option:
  • Only after error: if error have occured during the copy, eg: network cable disconnected, if the read() on source or write() on destination return an error
  • Ignore if impossible: don't do the checksum if it's not possible, eg: destination in write only (not able to read)

Some topic about the checksum is on the forum, mostly it's that's:
  • If the error is detected by the OS Ultracopier/Supercopier show it, restart the copy where it's safe
  • If the OS don't detect an error but have: it's OS to fix, mostly it put in cache and checksum will operate on cache and show all is ok, but is not, eg: FS corruption, hdd partially buggy
  • Due to reread source and read for first time destination (not in cache), double the operation AND purge the cache when source + destination size don't fitt in memory to cache it

About data security this page will help you:
http://ultracopier.first-world.info/art ... ndler.html
The version 0.3 was without data checksum.

inode thread is not fonctionnal, I will post into the changelog when it will fonctionnal.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Postby esumsea » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks Alpha_one_x86!

So, if "only after error" is checked, checksum verification does not take place unless there is an error? So no checksumming if there never is an error in the os (Windows 7)?

I really did not understand your checksum explanation. This is not meant as an insult (Please do not take offense), but the English is bad and does not make very much sense. If Spanish is your first language, you can answer in Spanish, as I am fluent in that language as well.

Anyhow, what I think you were saying is that there may be an error in the OS (Windows 7) that is not verified by checksum. I understand that, but other than this eventuality, checksum is verifying whether the files are coping correctly. Surely this is better than no confirmation at all. I ask because I have had copy utilities such as this create bad copies which really caused a lot of problems. I need to verify that the files have copied correctly.

I am sad to hear that you have ommitted checksum from .3. I will probably use another utility if that is the case. Where can one download .3?

Thanks again for your help!
esumsea
esumsea

Postby alpha_one_x86 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 pm

esumsea wrote:So, if "only after error" is checked, checksum verification does not take place unless there is an error? So no checksumming if there never is an error in the os (Windows 7)?

Correct

esumsea wrote:I really did not understand your checksum explanation. This is not meant as an insult (Please do not take offense), but the English is bad and does not make very much sense. If Spanish is your first language, you can answer in Spanish, as I am fluent in that language as well.

French is my first language. yes my english is maybe unclear. It's why write my self a option explain it's not a good idea.

esumsea wrote:I ask because I have had copy utilities such as this create bad copies which really caused a lot of problems.

It's why checksum is not ideal into this tool:
  • More code, more possible error to corrupt the data
  • Less time to work one the core

esumsea wrote:I need to verify that the files have copied correctly.

You have too a external tool to check that's.

esumsea wrote:I am sad to hear that you have ommitted checksum from .3. I will probably use another utility if that is the case. Where can one download .3?

0.1-0.3: No checksum support.
0.3-1.2: Checksum support
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Return to Other