How does UC handle interruption like computer crash/shutdown

For the other topic
escobar

How does UC handle interruption like computer crash/shutdown

Post by escobar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Problem

Last night, I was performing a big file transfer job using UltraCopier.
I left my laptop unattended, because it was a long transfer job (2+ hours).
I didn't notice that my battery was low, and while I was gone...the laptop turned itself off.

So the UltraCopier transfer job was interrupted in-between.
When I turned my laptop back on & logged into Windows 7...UltraCopier *did not* remember its progress before shutdown.
I had to start file transfer all over again.

Any solution?

I looked in the UltraCopier settings, and could not see any option to remember transfer jobs (in case of crash or power off).

I previously used CopyHandler a year ago (on Windows XP)...and it could remember interrupted transfer jobs.
So even if my computer restarted, crashed, powered off (etc.), CopyHandler would remember progress and allow user to continue later on.

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Re: How does UC handle interruption like computer crash/shut

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello, already replied on the forum.

No because I have any good solution:
  • Save in real time the copy list can do few GB on the disk, can do heavy disk traffic (to append remove, but mostly to move the item because force to re-write few GB on the disk).
  • At crash, the OS not warranty the order of the write, then: can be put into the transfer list it's written but in reality it's not, or don't put into the copy list but in reality it's written. Then if I put that's, the user will trust in it (an unsafe usage).
  • The best way it's overwrite if different, because it's based on write time, and it's nearly good.
You can hibernate on low power...
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger

escobar

Post by escobar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 am

I think I understand what you are saying...

A "recovery" transfer job might be inaccurate.

So after the interruption (crash, restart, etc.)...It is better to start a *new* transfer job. Simply set program to over-write those files where a size difference exists. This way, the transfer that was interrupted (due to crash, restart, etc.) will be over-written with the proper source.

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am

Exactly
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger