[UC] "Access is denied" error

Help Ultracopier/Supercopier by reporting your bug
blue_lightning

[UC] "Access is denied" error

Post by blue_lightning » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:18 am

This error has appeared a number of times already. The last instance is when I tried to move 9 movies files from the USB drive to the hard drive. The time before that was when moving a torrent-downloaded folder to another folder in the same partition. This happened before too, just that I can't remember.

I'm using Ultracopier 1.0.1.11 on Windows 7 x64.

SOLUTION: check the read only attribute

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Re: [UC] "Access is denied" error

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:22 am

Hello, I need the debug report.
http://ultracopier-wiki.first-world.inf ... report_bug
Use the version debug to do it:
http://files.first-world.info/ultracopi ... 0.1.11.zip

Sound like the windows copy/move unlock the file and skip the need of unlock, and Ultracopier prefer show the problem than transfer silently for the security of data.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger

blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:00 pm

The log is uploaded.

Funny thing: why is the log file considered a "possible attack vector" by the website :D
Attachments
ultracopier-bug-report.log.html.7z
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Seam not linked with Ultracopier, another applicatino can access to the file (notepad++, 7zip, ...)?
I see that's in your log: QStorageInfo::RemovableDrive then no ntfs? another specific rule? disk integrity checked?
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger

blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

They are .mkv files. Playing directly from the drive via Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with no problem.
Disk integrity check result was no error.
The drive is formatted in NTFS file system.

The USB contains 9 movies files (~400 MB each) and a tiny application .exe (~140 KB). Ultracopier can move the small file at ease, but throws error with the rest.
Did a little test: Copy another large file (.mp4, 1.6 GB) into the drive, unplugged, reconnected and try to move the new file resulted in the same error.

Maybe Ultracopier has problem in handling large file in removable drive ?

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:39 pm

blue_lightning wrote:Home Cinema with no problem
Try with vlc please.
blue_lightning wrote:Did a little test: Copy another large file (.mp4, 1.6 GB) into the drive, unplugged, reconnected and try to move the new file resulted in the same error.
Then seam not be linked with Ultracopier, but if we can resolv the bug, I will report him.
blue_lightning wrote:Maybe Ultracopier has problem in handling large file in removable drive ?
I have moved 18GB single file with ultracopier from NAS to Sata drive, and under windows, then seam not that's.

blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 pm

VLC played the videos fine, too.

blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 am

Oh, "Access is denied" popped up when I tried to move a torrent file/folder to a different partition/drive too. Moving in the same partition is fine though, but from E:\ to D:\ or E:\ to G:\ (USB drive) resulted in error. Non-torrent files are not affected.

uTorrent was turned off, and since right after that I used Windows native function successfully, the problem couldn't be because the file was currently in use by uTorrent.

Another thought: can you add an undo feature in the next version of Ultracopier ? Today I had to try moving different files to and from the drives, and an undo feature could come in handy. Even Windows has it by pressing Ctrl + Z, so hopefully you can make one for Ultracopier too.

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 am

The problem it's then read only problem (open the source in read/write to check if have permision to remove), check the read only or the security attribute.

The undo mean keep all the file transfered in memory, that's can consume more than 2GB without any explication to the customer... and Windows don't return me the Ctrl + Z.

blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks, it worked ! How the heck did that work... No, I understand read-only locking the files from moving is a natural thing, but why can Windows copy normally like it's nothing ? I mean read-only must locks all transfers regardless of programs, right ? How can only Ultracopier be affected, but not Windows native copier ?

And about the undo feature, maybe you can store the source and destination locations in a file so when the user is inside the destination folder and press Ctrl+Z, it would do a reverse transfer.

But I thought since whenever an user chooses to "Quit" while copying all the files would be returned in an instant, and undo does look similarly like that, making it would be a piece of cake...right ?