[UC resolved] Shortcut problem

Help Ultracopier/Supercopier by reporting your bug
anton

[UC resolved] Shortcut problem

Post by anton »

I used UltraCopier with Win 7 64-bit.

I created a network location pointing to a NAS directory. A network location folder appeared in Windows Explorer.

I dragged a file to the network location folder, but the file does show up in the NAS directory.

I ran cmd, went to

C:\Users\(User)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network
Shortcuts\(NASDir)

and found the file that was supposed to be copied there, together with a shortcut called "target" which points to the NAS directory.

However, when I opened the NAS directory in the network icon of Windows Explorer and dragged the file to that directory, the file was copied correctly.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Re: Problem with NAS

Post by alpha_one_x86 »

anton wrote:but the file does show up in the NAS directory.
Ultracopier is used? If yes, using the debug version to have report and details about what's append can be useful.
anton wrote:I ran cmd, went to
C:\Users\(User)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network
Shortcuts\(NASDir)
I have lot of difficulty to understand the condition. what's it's the shortcut, ... if is to copied or source/destination, ...
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
anton

Post by anton »

This is what I did:

I went to Windows Explorer (for Win 7).

I right-clicked on the computer icon found in the left pane.

I selected "Add a network location".

I browsed a directory in the NAS (e.g., \NAS\\temp).

I create a network folder shortcut. It appeared below the computer icon, called "temp (NAS)."

Using Ultracopier, I dragged a file from a folder in the hard disk to temp (NAS).

I click on temp (NAS). I didn't see the file that I copied. The directory temp (NAS) is empty.

I went to the Network icon at the bottom of the Windows Explorer left pane. I click on the arrow to the left of the network icon to expand and show the devices connected to the PC. One of them is the NAS.

I clicked on the arrow to the left of the NAS device to show folders. One of them is temp.

Using Ultracopier, I dragged a file from a folder in the hard disk to the temp folder of NAS.

I clicked on on the temp folder of NAS. I saw the file that I copied. That means the file was copied to the temp folder.

In short, when I use Ultracopier to drag a file to a network location folder shortcut, the file will not be copied. When I use Ultracopier to drag a file to a network folder (not a shortcut), the file is copied.

Where did the file that I copied to the network location folder shortcut go?

I clicked the Win 7 orb, typed in "cmd," and when it appeared in the results, right-clicked on it and selected "Run as Administrator." A command-line window appeared.

In the command-line window, I went to the directory "C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\temp". Whenever I add a network location, Windows 7 creates a directory under Network Shortcuts, and in it creates a shortcut file named target.lnk, which points to the target directory (in this case, \\NAS\temp).

I typed "dir" to list the entries of the directory. I found two files:

- a shortcut called "target" which points to temp (NAS);

- the file that I tried to copy to temp (NAS).

In short, the file is copied to the temp folder under "Network Shortcuts" instead of the target directory, which is \\NAS\temp.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 »

anton wrote:In short, the file is copied to the temp folder under "Network Shortcuts" instead of the target directory, which is \\NAS\temp.
The reply is into the report of debug version. I have previously experienced similar same bug with the .lnk of windows.
In my case I do:
  • \\192.168.1.10
  • Map network drive with right click on rights folder (That's map Z: as \\192.168.1.10\share)
  • And I copy (drop from desktop, destination/target: arrow near the "Computer", drop into z: )
I'm investigating to found why it have this bug, but debug report will help me.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
anton

Post by anton »

Sorry for the delay! I just found out that you can test this yourself even if you don't have a network drive. If you have Win 7, right-click on the computer icon in Windows Explorer and add a network location. You can select a folder in your local hard drive.

From there, if you go to the network shortcuts folder mentioned in my previous message using Windows Explorer, you will see a file folder but with a shortcut arrow, with the same name as the folder you selected in your local drive. If you click on it, you will see the contents of the folder you targeted.

If you go to the command prompt and go to the network shortcuts folder, you will see the file folder not as a shortcut but as a directory. If you enter the directory, you will see the file target.lnk.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 »

post me you debug repport in your case, I have noted a bug with the shortcut, but not your bug. I have tested with my NAS.
anton

Post by anton »

Hello, will send debug report to you.
Krisantem

Re: [UC resolved] Shortcut problem

Post by Krisantem »

Hello,

I have the same problem. Files do not move to network location, but they move to network location shortcut folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts.

I found files in this location with WinDirStat because I moved a 20 GB folder to a network location. This folder disappeared from the source folder and it was not in the destination folder either. The partition containing the source folder showed the same size as when the 20 GB folder was in the source folder.

Thank you.
alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 »

Hi,
  • How reproduce the bug?
  • Can you send me the debug repport done with debug version https://cdn.confiared.com/files.first-world.info/ultracopier/2.2.4.8/ultracopier-debug-windows-x86-2.2.4.8.zip
ve3nwe

Post by ve3nwe »

Hi,

I just experienced the same issue on Windows 10 using Ultracopier 2.2.4.9.

To reproduce:

1) Map network location to a remote share (in my case, a NAS)
2) Open the share
3) Create new directory/files on on system drive (C:)
4) Drag and drop files from system drive to network share

You will notice it initiates a move instead of a copy, since it appears to be coping to a shortcut on the same drive. It sees the remote share as C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\NETWORK_SHARE\

This does not happen when copying from a different drive letter to the same network share, as it initiates a copy, not a move.

Where these files disappear to, I have no idea, but I lost everything in the directory that I was attempting to backup to my NAS. Attempted to recover delete files. Unsuccessful. Currently attempting a full recover on the drive.

Recovery Update: Evening being a solid state drive, I was still able to recover the files. They were not recovered from their original location, but from the destination (the long path with AppData and Network Share). Specifically, I used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional, selected a complete recovery, selected the volume and partition, navigated to the destination directory, and selected the entire directory I had attempted to copy. There are lots of recovery tools out there to use, but whichever you use, be sure to look in your destination folder for your lost files.