UAC at Windows startup

For the other topic
fallout33

UAC at Windows startup

Post by fallout33 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Every time I start Windows, the UAC asks me twice for permissions for registering the Ultracopier dlls. One dialog pops up for catchcopy32.dll and one for catchcopy64.dll.

Isn't there a way of asking for the corresponding permission only once upon installation as other software do?

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Re: UAC at Windows startup

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 am

I need this permission to load the dll to intercept the copy/move for windows, this action need be do at the each time. And for do this, UAC is needed, I have not found any way to register UAC for specific command.

I thinks no solution exists :(, I have search, but nothing for this part. I will try other approach in the next version, but I don't know precisely which version. But same with other approach, I don't think to have solution.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger

fallout33

Post by fallout33 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm

alpha_one_x86 wrote:[...] I need this permission to load the dll to intercept the copy/move for windows [...] I thinks no solution exists :(, I have search, but nothing for this part [...]
@all forum readers (hopefully some developers):
I assume that other commercial software like virus scanners dig much deeper into windows than a copy handler. Usually they ask for permission only once - so there has to be a way.
Do you have any hints?

@alpha_one_x86:
What about a "hack" in the meantime for interested users like the following:
It is possible to define scheduled tasks (Windows functionality) which are executed at startup with admin rights (I am currently doing this for SpeedFan). Is there an easy way to turn off your dll registration procedure through some registry entry of your conifg? A user like me can then manually create a scheduled task e.g. call to a batch file which does the registration?

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Yes, in realty ultracopier try do it, and call the UAC only if windows reply "require administrator right to do that's". Then if ultracopier with administrator rights, the system should not tell that's.
EDIT: yes it's work, but it's dirty

I have see that's:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx
I need try, but if it ask UAC only one time, it's the solution.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger

alpha_one_x86
Site Admin

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Copy handler have found the solution, because it not call the UAC. Then it's possible. But after lot of code review I not see how.